22/09/2009

Captain James T. Kirk, er, I mean Cook...


[2009_09_19]
After my adventure with the Whales, I went back to Darling Harbour to tour the National Maritime Museum. My first stop (and the reason I went in the first place) was to tour the full replica of the HMB Endeavor. It a fantastic replica! Fully functional and accurate! They even have the toilets (See the photo with the outhouse looking seat hanging out the front of the boat?) Yep, that's the head. They'd tie a rag to a rope and drop in into the ocean, when you needed to wipe, yous pull up the rope and get the washed rag. Ready to set sail anyone?
The replica was supposed to be out to sea but due to financial reasons, her trip was postpones. All the better for me, since I got the grand tour. The Endeavor was originally a coal ship hauling coal up and down the coast of Britain. The British Admiralty purchased the ship for Cook's first voyage, unlike most vessels, The Endeavor had a flat bottom which made it slow but if the crew needed to beach the ship for repairs, it wouldn't. (Fortunate because they ran the Endeavor into the great barrier reef and needed to make extensive repairs). Seriosly, I could go on and on. Tell you why the large cabid had 7 foot ceilings instead of the normal 5'5", why there was a portion with 3' celing, how it came to pass that the replica had an original piece of the original ship (that I got to touch!). Instead, here's some photos!


After the Endeavor, I toured two more vessels in the Harbour. The HMAS Onslow, an Australian Oberon class Submarine, built in 1967, decommissioned in 1999, and the HMAS Vampire, a Australian Daring class Destroyer decomisioned in 1989. Here's the photos! (Including a photo through the periscope of the sub! And who's that in the captain's chair?)


On my way back to my apartment I took a stroll through China Town. At the risk of sounding ho hum, it was just like China Town in San Fransisco.


I'll leave you with a shot of the Opera House at night...

No comments: